hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Start Something New

January 14, 2014 | Fitness, Training | 28 Comments

When I opened my agenda yesterday, I noticed a quote that seemed to stick with me…

image

At the beginning of each month, my agenda offers a new quote and the quote for January is “start something new.”

All day yesterday I couldn’t get this quote out of my head. Like I said, it stuck with me and I couldn’t help but think that I really should apply it to my life – I should try something new.

So, after a lot of soul searching, I’ve decided that I’m going to try a new training routine.

As you know, I am a big lover of GPP; however, a couple of months ago I started to feel like I needed a change. So, I stopped doing my 5 – 6 GPP sessions per week and began to follow a 5 day bodybuilding split.

I have been doing 5 workouts per week which include chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders, and two leg days for over 6 weeks now, so I knew now would be a perfect opportunity to start something new in this aspect of my life.

I like to follow a training routine for anywhere between 4 – 8 weeks and since I’ve been doing the same 5 workouts for almost 8 weeks now, I know it is time to change things up and try something new.

I took yesterday off from the gym as I had a busy day of school and studying, so today is my first day of this week getting back to the gym and I will be starting my new program.

I have decided to start my very first upper/lower split! I will now be going to the gym 4 days a week and training my upper body twice and my lower body twice.

I always get nervous trying something new at the gym, such as this new training split, but hopefully my body will benefit from it! I know my legs have gained more mass since training them twice a week, so hopefully my upper body will do the same.

Once I get all 4 of my workouts planned out, I can share them with you so if you’re in need of a new workout schedule, you can follow along with me!

How many days of the week do you train? Have you ever done an upper/lower split before?

What is something that you can do new this month?

p.s. don’t forget to send me your high fives for High Five Friday #101 (my email is adashofmeg@gmail.com)

Tags: , , , , ,

28 Comments

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun

January 14, 2014

I typically do 5-6 days per week but lately I have been sticking with 5. I am trying to up it to 6 this week but am having to cut down some of my training throughout the week because it gets me so worn out. I know I will find a happy medium eventually!

January 16, 2014

Yes you will!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More

January 14, 2014

I’m trying to switch up my workouts again. In a couple weeks, I’ll start ½ marathon training again so for now I’m trying to work more running into my workouts so it’s not a complete shock when I start training but also making sure I’m getting in some good strength workouts.

January 16, 2014

Good for you girl!

Caitlyn@BareBalance

January 14, 2014

HOLY. PLEASE READ MY POST HERE:
    when you see it, you’ll know <3

Something new I plan to do this month is committing to blogging more. I love it and want to really become more established in the bloggin world :)

Yoojin

January 14, 2014

best of luck, meg! can’t wait to hear updates on the workouts :)
    xoxo

January 16, 2014

Thanks! I will share them with you next week 😀

Katie

January 14, 2014

I don’t have a current workout plan right now… I suppose that’s something new I can try this month! I am just starting up my blog as well, and I want to focus on posting more regularly and interacting with other bloggers.

January 16, 2014

That’s a great goal Katie 😀

I did an upper/lower split starting in December (from Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle) and really enjoyed it! I’m back to a more traditional bodybuilding split now, but us bikini girls do two leg days every week. Ouch! :)

January 16, 2014

Hahaha I am so hurting from the leg day I did yesterday! OUCH is right!

Jody - Fit at 56

January 14, 2014

LOVE!!! How fun!!! I have been at this so long that I do my own crazy workout that would not work for anyone else most likely! :) I work out 5 days a week with 4 cardio & 4 weight sessions over 5 days & 2 days of rest! :)

January 16, 2014

Wowza! 😀 Whatever you do works – you look amazing <3

Dominique @ Eat, Pray, Lift

January 14, 2014

Ooh, can’t wait to see what workouts you end up with! Right now I train 6 days/week: 2 leg days, 2 upper body “push” [chest, triceps, shoulders] days, and 2 upper body “pull” [back, biceps] days. Core work and cardio get sprinkled in there, too. 😉

Coco

January 14, 2014

I’m “casual” when it comes to fitness–I run on the treadmill at work (SO blessed to have a work gym that my boss lets me use whenever! Otherwise I know I would never be motivated to go to the gym after work) 3-4 days per week for about 2.5 miles. On the “off days”, I do strength exercises with hand weights and a stability ball. That’s it for me haha.

January 16, 2014

That’s so awesome you have a place to workout at work!

Mary @ Fit and Fed

January 14, 2014

I train (skate) 5-6 days a week, though sometimes I find 5 is really better for me. This isn’t really something new, but I’ve recommitted to stretching before I skate, even if it means I will get less skating time.

January 16, 2014

I am starting to stretch more often – I need to make it a habit!

Lindsay

January 14, 2014

I wishing could join you!! I have a feeling it will be great

January 16, 2014

Oh goodness my love! Totally wish you could join me too – how fun would that be!?

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats

January 15, 2014

Yes I do 2 days a week of upper body and 2 days a week of lower body and then running on the other days.

Definitely good to keep mixing up your training as it keeps things interesting and keeps you on your toes.

January 16, 2014

Definitely keeping things interesting! This new split is fun!

Sara

January 15, 2014

Lately all I can think about is the fact that I need something NEW in my life…well quite a few things actually! A new workout plan is definitely on that list. I can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store :)

January 16, 2014

You’ll see it next week 😀

14. Pingback: My New Workout Program