hey there, gorgeous!
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Words Are Spells

January 15, 2014 | Uncategorized | 26 Comments

Good morning!

Today I wanted to tell you about one of the practicums I attended last week called Holistic Weight Loss.

During this practicum we learnt how we as soon-to-be Holistic Nutritionists should approach weight loss with our clients.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the practicums I’ve attended so far (one of the practicums taught me how to ferment my own vegetables!), but many pieces of information presented to me during this particular weight loss practicum really stuck with me. Especially when my teacher began to talk about words and how powerful they are.

She actually said “words are like spells.”

5093

I had never thought of this analogy before myself, but after she brought it to my attention, I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

At first, it may sound a little hocus pocus, but then you’ll soon realize how true this phrase really is – I know I did.

Think about the last time someone said something nasty about you. Did you believe them?

The example my teacher gave in class was if you were to call a girl “ugly”, it’s going to stick with her. She’s going to believe you.

I’d like to think we all have more confidence in ourselves and know better than to believe anyone who says such demeaning words to us, but I can even admit that I’ve let negative comments bring me down in the past despite my level of self confidence.

That just shows you how powerful words are. See, I told you, they are just like spells.

So, since words are so powerful and have the potential to act as spells, why would anything negative come out of our mouths?

It just doesn’t make sense to me at all.

If negative words can affect a person so profoundly, I am sure positive ones can too.

For an example, last week someone called me an angel. Her exact words were, “Meg, you’re an angel sent down from heaven.”

That stuck with me.

I don’t go through my days thinking of myself as an angel, but ever since she made that positive and loving comment to me, I feel better about myself. More confident, more loving, and happier!

So, why don’t we all start casting spells on the world and the people around us. Let’s all cast at least one positive and loving spell today with words because they are so powerful! Who’s with me?

words-can-be-very-powerful

See you tomorrow!

Love,

p.s. check out my side bar! There’s a new picture of me! Finally! 😀

Tags: , , , ,

26 Comments

Linz @ Itz Linz

January 15, 2014

i try and teach this to my students everyday… it breaks my heart when they say cruel things to each other and sometimes don’t realize the impact that it can have!!

you’re the best teacher!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables

January 15, 2014

I think this is SO true! It’s good to keep in mind that we shouldn’t always let other people’s words dictate how we feel about something, but we should also be careful not to do that to someone else!

January 16, 2014

it’s so true! we have to be so careful!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal

January 15, 2014

I like that idea – casting positive spells. Unfortunately, there are many people out there who are mean and they want to cause emotional harm to others. This doesn’t help. And they suck.

But as for me, I’ve been trying to say more positive things myself and compliment others because I know it can have an effect on them. It’s something similar to what I wrote about last week about compliments and whether we need them.

Nice post.

January 16, 2014

thanks Kammie! you’re a gem and always make me a happier person :)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun

January 15, 2014

I love this idea! Casting positive spells to make others see what we do and say can really hurt someone.

January 16, 2014

So happy you loved it Sara!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More

January 15, 2014

I was thinking that was a new picture of you – beautiful!! :)

January 16, 2014

Awwww geeee! thanks lovie! I so needed an update – every one told me that old pic was awful haha

Keri

January 15, 2014

You are something special, my love. You are such a light in this world and always thinking of how you can make this world a better place for others. That is a gift…your gift to the world. I am so grateful to be a recipient of that love. xoxo

You are a gift too Keri! So happy we are soul sisters 😀

elyse

January 15, 2014

Absolutely loved this post! We often say thing, without thinking about how much power & impact we may have on another person, simply by the specific words we choose. It’s also reassuring to know they are teaching about the power of words & how to talk to clients properly in your classes. That component often gets lost & I’ve heard some pretty negative things from counselors, as well as lots of insincere generic “fluff” (for lack of a better word) from those who don’t know how to communicate and only say what they think they should.

P.S. – You look wonderful in your new photo, glowing & obviously very happy!

January 16, 2014

Awwww thank you so much Elyse!

I think about this and worry about this for the kids I am helping to raise right now. I am always very careful about what I say, and I worry for the day that one careless person strikes them down with words. One negative comment can undo thousands of good ones.

January 16, 2014

It’s so true! It just takes one!

Diana @sosmallsostrong

January 15, 2014

Meg, the new picture looks GREAT!

I feel the same way about words and love , love your message today. When I’m teaching, I try to “cast spells” as much as possible. Especially during my High School girls fitness classes. Your right, if they have a positive moment in the experience (weight training) then it will hopefully stick with them!! :)

January 16, 2014

Yay thanks for the complements on the new pic sweetie! Eddie took it of me this fall :) Also, you sound like an amazing teacher! Way to go <3

Yoojin

January 15, 2014

loving the new picture!

i agree with words being like spells.. especially when you say mantras & affirmations to yourself :)

Thanks Yoojin!

Livi

January 15, 2014

your hair looks so gorgeous in that new pic!

January 16, 2014

Awwww Livi!!!! Thank you!

Jody - Fit at 56

January 15, 2014

You are amazing & I love this post.. I have always known how strong words can be.. from hurt to love.. all my years have taught me both sides… HUGS!You look beautiful!

January 16, 2014

Thank you Jody! You’re the best!

13. Pingback: Five Things Friday Link Up {1.17.14} - Fitting It All In