How To Finish Your Workout

How To Finish Your Workout

How To Finish Your Workout

January 22, 2014 | Fitness, Training, Uncategorized | 23 Comments

Yesterday I shared my current workout program with you, but what I didn’t share is how I end my workouts.

Every now and then I feel like doing a little bit more. You know, giving that little extra push to make sure I really gave it my all. When I feel this way, I end my workout with a metabolic finisher!

A metabolic finisher is an exercise or a series of exercises that are performed at the end of a workout to increase your heart rate.

Metabolic finishers are tough, but I’ve been incorporating them at the end of a couple of my workouts throughout the week and love the way they make me feel – strong, powerful, and like I really gave my workout everything I had!

I’ve also been having fun developing my own finishers and have come up with some pretty great ones! Here are some of the ones I’ve done recently:

20 KB swings (#25 KB), 20 walking lunges (bodyweight) x 4

OH farmer carry (#25 DB for 45 sec.), 30 sec. plank  x 4

20 KB swings (#25 KB), 15 goblet squats (#25 KB), 10 burpees x 4

250 m row, rest 30 sec. x 4

Tabata KB swings (#25 KB)

10 inverted rows, 10 burpees x 4

Like I said, I don’t end every single workout of mine with a finisher, but when I’m feeling like I need that extra bit of intensity I will add it in at the end!

I first heard about finishers through Nia Shanks when I read her blog post, Beach Work & Finishers – How To End Your Workout. I love Nia’s approach to fitness, so I’ve incorporated many of her training techniques throughout my training within the past few years, but primarily within my current workout program.

My workout finishers are usually under 5 minutes, but they’re always changing! That’s what I love about them – the possibilities are endless! So, if you’re in need of a short burst of intensity after your workout to make sure you got it all out of your system, try one of the finishers I shared with you today or create your own!

One type of exercise I’ve been wanting to incorporate into my finisher is prowler pushes. I’ve been too intimidated to try them, but maybe today I’ll muster up the courage and attempt it after my leg workout! We’ll see ;)

Do you perform finishers at the end of your workouts? If so, what is a favourite finisher of yours? I’d love to hear it!

p.s. don’t forget to email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com if you have high fives to submit for this week’s High Five Friday! :D

Tags: , , , , ,

23 Comments

Caitlyn@BareBalance

January 22, 2014

Meg you are making such amazing gains girl! Your arms are amazing! Keep it up <33

thanks Caitlyn :) that means a lot to me

Cara's Healthy Cravings

January 22, 2014

I love finishing with a combo of KB swings and skipping, it’s the perfect combo to boost my heart rate.

January 22, 2014

i have to do more skipping! start practicing my double unders ;)

Cara's Healthy Cravings

January 22, 2014

I am awful at double unders! I keep trying though…even though I probably look like a fool ;)

loved the look of your workout plans! thank you for sharing :) How long did it take you?

January 22, 2014

how long do my workouts take me? :) about 45 mins? :)

Linz @ Itz Linz

January 22, 2014

sounds intense! :) not much for finishers at the end of my walking workouts these days, but soon enough! :) :)

soon soon hott mama :D

I do HIIT sprints after lifting. Or, I run 3 laps around the indoor track (1/4 mile) then run up and down the stairs 2 times, and repeat that 4 times!

January 22, 2014

wow girl! :D you wouldn’t find me running that much ;)

Tatum

January 22, 2014

What a great idea to add that last little burn at the end! I feel like that would be so rewarding! Def going to try this babe

January 22, 2014

ohhhh totally rewarding! definitely give it a try :D

Tatum

January 22, 2014

What a great way to get that last little burn in! I feel like that would be so rewarding.. Def gonna try this babe

Bonnie

January 22, 2014

I LOVE finishers! Use them with my clients and myself often. Great options listed above!

thanks Bonnie :D i often see you share finishers, too! love it! love YOU

Jody - Fit at 56

January 22, 2014

LOVE this & how you are loving it!!! I have my own way of doing finishers but not every workout – great post to help people learn!!!! :)

thanks Jody :D

Jody - Fit at 56

January 22, 2014

I wish I had the equipment to do prowler pushes!

January 22, 2014

i am so lucky my new gym does!

Hannah R.

January 23, 2014

These look great! I love finishing a good lifting session with a little extra something. I will for sure try some of these out:)

January 23, 2014

awesome! what have you been doing lately? GPP!? :)

12. Pingback: Saturday Sweat- Burnouts