My New Workout Program

by Meg on January 21, 2014

Today I wanted to share the workouts from my new workout program with you! :D

Last week, I mentioned that I started a new workout split, which includes 4 workouts – 2 upper body and 2 lower body. This is my first time ever doing this type of split, but after one week, I’m loving the change!

I have to admit, I was a little nervous switching from a more typical bodybuilding split to this, but I forced myself to commit by writing this post, getting the word out there, writing the actual workout program, and getting in the gym and just doing it!

Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 8.52.13 PM

You never know how something is going to work until you try! So, last Tuesday I hit the gym and started my first workout of my new program!

Not only is this my first time ever following an upper lower split, but it is also my first time writing my own workout program! I have had a lot of help, though, which cannot go without mentioning…

I asked Lindsay for advice and suggestions and also used Nia Shanks’ workout program template for some structure and more suggestions. If you don’t follow either of these inspiring women, I highly suggest you start now!

I was incredibly intimidated when writing my own workout program, but once I wrote the four workouts and completed them I felt a lot more confident in myself and can’t wait to write more programs for myself!

So, here are the workouts I will be following for the next 4 – 8 weeks depending on how I feel!

Workout 1 – Upper Body A

1) Conventional deadlift 5 x 3 – 6
2) GHRs 4 x 8 – 12
3A) Single leg leg press 4 x 8 – 12
3B) Reverse crunch 4 x 8 – 15
4) BB hip thrust 4 x 8 – 12
5) Seated calf raise 4 x 8 – 12

Throughout the week I completed my workouts on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I chose these days because they were the days I don’t have class and because they are spread out nicely throughout the week! :)

I’m sure some of you are wondering why I stopped doing GPP, so I better just address that question now, too :)
Back in November I started feeling like I needed slower, more grounding workouts (I’m getting a lot more in tune with my body and knowing what it needs and when!) So, I started lifting more weights and doing less GPP. Then, I slowly cut out GPP all together and began a 5 day bodybuilding split. I started to feel amazing while lifting more weights, doing less HIIT, and started to see more progress in my strength and size, as well, so I stuck with it!
It’s all about what makes you feel good! :D

Will you be trying any of these workouts? Were you in need of a new workout program? Are you a fan of doing upper lower splits?

p.s. don’t forget to email me your high fives for High Five Friday! :D adashofmeg@gmail.com

Tina Muir January 21, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Great job! Love that quote! I always find it so hard to switch up my exercises after they have helped me achieve the accolades I have! I actually recently changed up some of mine, and I really think they will help! Like they always say, life begins when you step outside your comfort zone, and you can often strengthen muscles that were weaknesses in your performance by changing it up as your body gets used to them. Good for you! Keep up the good work :)

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM

congrats on your switch, too, Tina!! :)

lindsay January 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM

i’ve heard great things about nia shanks too! glad you are trying it out!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM

she’s wonderful! her outlook and mindset are amazing – something you’d definitely honour too!

Diana @sosmallsostrong January 21, 2014 at 7:41 AM

I love changing pup weight training splits!! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the new program. Good exercises and I know for me the lower reps make feel STRONG! And they def help progress… keep listening to your body, you’re doing awesome!! :)

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM

thanks Diana :D

Linz @ Itz Linz January 21, 2014 at 7:49 AM

when i was lifting hardcore (well, for me) i always loved doing upper lower splits.. particularly the lower splits since that’s the strongest part of my body!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM

even though my lower body is not my strongest, it is still my favourite ;)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 21, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I’ll have to take a look at this! I run primarily but really want to get into more strength training and my goal is 4 days a week. It looks like this could work out perfectly!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM

ooooo maybe give it a try :D

Cat January 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM

This looks like my kind of routine! Literally, I’ve been doing a 2x upper, 2x lower split for the last month or so and I’m loving it. Will be switching it up again soon so I may have to use this for inspiration!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM

let me know if you do yay :D

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Looks great, girl!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM

thanks love :D

Bonnie January 21, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Love it, girl! Looks like a solid program and you’ve been making so much progress and doing so great; love following the changes and growth in your life! I think the change in focus from GPP is a good one for you and I can’t wait to see how you like your program. Love Lindsay and Nia from what I’ve read and seen in social media of them both. Enjoy and grow them muscles! :D

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM

ahhhhh Bonnie you are seriously the best! This comment filled me with so much happiness :) you sure know how to brighten my day don’t you ;) thanks for the encouragement and support, love xo

suzie January 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM

looks great, thanks for sharing. do you do cardio as well?

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM

as in running on the treadmill? :) no!

Keri January 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM

What an awesome workout program! It is working for you because you look wonderful! Love you! xoxo

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM

thanks Keri :) LOVE U TOO

Lindsay January 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I love how you set up your workouts-they look perfect! Change is always good, and I hope you see some great gains! :) Just remember to give it time and stick with it!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM

ahhhhh Lindsay :D thank you for commenting :D thank you so much :D well, i have to thank YOU for so much of the inspiration! it’s great to hear you also like how i set them up ;) i love getting your approval ;) hehehe

Sweetly Fit January 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

ohh that workout split sounds great!!! I am really focusing on slower workouts with weights lately, too. I can’t remember the last time I did a cardio workout!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM

it just feels so right at this point in time :D

Luvena January 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Looks like a great workout split! Good job girl! Its great when we get in tune with our bodies and do what it wants. I have been learning little by little to do what is best for my body instead of doing what others are doing/trying. Letting go of tons of cardio and lifting more has always been hard for me but as of late I am doing very little cardio if any. What I do do is more plyometrics as active rests and that’s pretty much it. I find that my body is stronger during my lifting and making better gains. LOVE the weights! I feel so strong and awesome after a good lifting session without having to worry about doing cardio. I am getting ready in about two week to start a New program that James Wilson is doing. EXCITED!!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM

that’s awesome! i am so excited for you girl!

Julie January 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I tried a split when I did Jamie Eason’s LiveFit program but haven’t done anything like it since. I enjoyed it for the most part. Some workouts would take me 30 minutes and some like 90 minutes though.

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I did her program too, but didn’t do any of the cardio – just the weights!

Miranda @ Lovely Wife Lovely Life January 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I used to do Jamie Eason’s LiveFit program last year, which was a lot of fun! I didn’t like the results though- I never shed the fat over the muscle so I just looked “fluffy”. It was my bad though… Phase 3 was supposed to shed the fat but I quit it during Phase 2 ;)

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM

i followed that program, too, but didn’t do any of the cardio :) i was just doing it for building muscle, not the fat loss

Dominique @ Eat, Pray, Lift January 21, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Dang girl! Look at those sexy shoulders! ;) Glad you’re loving you’re new split. As usual, you inspire me to listen more closely to my body…which I’ve actually been doing lately, so this was a great boost!

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM

woooo so happy to hear you’ve been listening to your body more :D right on! xo

Jody - Fit at 56 January 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM

YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!! You know I love the lifting! I also saw a health segment on how many of the functional & crossfit workouts are actually turning out to be not so good for people that go into them & rush & don’t learn & end up injured…

Meg January 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM

i know i read that one too! :(

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! January 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I love that quote as well and it’s a great reminder. I love how I feel on a 2 day upper/lower body split. It always makes me feel the strongest. I teach about 11 classes a week so it is sometimes hard to maintain that schedule and manage the soreness with teaching. Now that I am pregnant, I am doing mainly Pilates, total body strength training, and low impact cardio. I can’t wait to get back to heavier lifting after little girl arrives!

Meg January 22, 2014 at 6:07 PM

wow what a busy schedule! you’re one fit mama :D

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Shaking things up can be so good for progress! Do you think you’ll do GPP again or just moving on completely? Just curious! :)

Meg January 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM

i don’t know love!? to be honest, right now i know i will stick with just lifting for a while. i like the muscle that comes along with it and it truly IS what i love MOST. however, i love gpp and what it has to offer. i hope to coach gpp but practice weight lifting myself :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Sounds like a plan! Hey – I coach running & triathlon even though I’m not actively racing much right now, so I think it sounds perfect. :)

Kate @ Coffee with Kate January 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I always do upper/lower split with a spinning or yoga class in between. I try to never work the same muscle groups two days in a row so that’s why upper/lower split helps me. Plus, it’s simply an easy way to determine what you need to focus on each day.

Ps: Tried facepulls a few weeks back. Damn, don’t look tough. EXTREMELY tough.

Meg January 23, 2014 at 8:29 PM