Instagram Inspired: Stuffed Acorn Squash

by Meg on January 29, 2014

Good morning, loves!

Today I have another recipe for you, which was inspired by an Instagram post!

As I mentioned in my previous Instagram Inspired post, I become inspired by many people I follow on Instagram. I will take screen shots of their meals and try to recreate them in my own kitchen!

Today’s recipe was inspired by my good friend, Karina Baymiller, who can be found on Instagram as @kbaymiller.

Every post Karina shares on Instagram seems to inspire me. Whether it’s a recipe she created or a video of her deadlifting – they all inspire me!

The post of hers that inspired today’s recipe was the one you see below. A stuffed acorn squash served with roasted brussels sprouts. This post immediately caught my eye and I knew I had to create a recipe for it of my own!

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 9.23.22 AM

My version of stuffed acorn squash is incredibly simple and can be enjoyed for dinner, lunch, or even breakfast – that’s when I’ve been having mine! I love savoury breakfasts!

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 acorn squash
1 lb. ground meat (I like using turkey or chicken best, but any type of ground meat will work!)
1 egg

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice your acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place them flesh side down on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until soft (you should be able to pierce your fork through the skin!)
Meanwhile, cook your ground meat in a pan over medium-high heat. You can flavour your meat however you’d like by adding your favourite spices. Sometimes I will leave mine plain or I will season it with garlic, pepper, and smoked paprika (those seem to be my favourite when seasoning ground meat!). You can also add in fresh garlic and some chopped onion, too.
Once your meat and squash are both cooked, remove the squash from the oven and the meat from the pan.
Scoop out the flesh of the squash into bowl along with the meat.
Mash the squash and meat together until mixed thoroughly.
Place the meat and squash mixture back into the skin of the squash while leaving a small dip in the centre for your egg.
Creak an egg into the centre where you left a dip.
Place stuffed squash back into the oven and cook until egg is done to your liking. Of course, I like my yolks runny ;)

If you aren’t a fan of eating the skin of the squash, you can also do a skinless version of this recipe.

For this version, instead of stuffing my squash with the meat and squash mixture, I simply put the mixture in a pan and cooked my egg in the centre of it while in the pan!

Let me know if you give this recipe a try! It’s definitely my favourite recipe right now!

Do you like savoury breakfasts? Will you try this recipe?

Allison January 29, 2014 at 9:50 AM

So are you going to completely ignore your last post and not address all the comments, the comments that you have since closed and removed from anyone else to read? Everyone knows they were there, so it leaves you looking quite immature to just move on without even talking about a “real” issue.

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM

No, Allison. I will not ignore my last post. I am addressing the issue tomorrow. Thank you.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Oh this looks delicious! Not something I would have normally come up with!

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM

i hope you try it!

Keegan January 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I was really enjoying the discussion on the previous post. There were good points made by all. What happened to the 54 comments? Now it is showing none.

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Hi Keegan, I am addressing the situation in tomorrow’s post.

Mo January 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I am very sorry to say that you’ve lost me, a long time reader of your blog. I went to comment on your last post and noticed the comments are gone and there is no way to add new. Why would a blogger ask questions such as “Did you enjoy today’s post? Do you view the mind and body as one? What are you looking to learn from my mental health series?” if she did not truly want to hear what her readers had to say?
Your response (disabling and deleting comments) shows a lack of maturity. Your blog runs because of your readers! Doesn’t that mean you should take into account your readers questions/concerns? I agree that some of the criticism may have been harsh on that post, but that would give you the perfect opportunity to respond gracefully and address criticism in a manner you see fit. Ignoring the subject is rude, and at this point it appears you are taking your readers for granted. I wish you well in the future, and if you ever do decide to address touchy matters in the future, please let me know and I will return to A Dash of Meg.

-Morgan

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Hello Morgan,

I actually didn’t delete any of the comments. I disabled them and will me addressing the issue in tomorrows post.

Thank you.

Kate January 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Hi Meg-

Just wondering why you deleted all of the well-thought-out comments from yesterday’s post. In my opinion, the fact that you not only left your original sloppy, ill-informed, and dangerous post in tact but also deprived your readership of the intelligent and important information left by many commenters shows that you can’t handle anything less than fawning commentary, that you completely lack the resources to respond intelligently to constructive criticism, and, honestly, that you are pretty insecure and immature. I just hope that the unfortunate readers who stumble upon that post of yours have enough sense to dismiss, or at least think twice, about the unresearched and ridiculous claims you published. In short, shame on you. I doubt you’ll publish this comment, but I just need to make sure you know how irresponsibly you’ve behaved.

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Hi Kate,

I actually didn’t delete them. I disabled them. I will be addressing the issue in tomorrow’s post, so, in fact, I will be responding to the criticism I received.

Thank you.

Jess January 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Are you going to just brush over the fact that you deleted all of the comments on your previous post? Someone clearly can’t handle the truth. People took the time to write those, and they were more relevant than anything you’ve ever written on your blog. I can’t believe you’d disrespect your readers to such a degree.

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Hi Jess,

I’m not brushing over the issue made from yesterday’s post. I will be addressing it tomorrow. Thank you.

Sweetly Fit January 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM

sooo perfect meg! I’ve gotta try it!

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM

i hope you do!

Livi January 29, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I have an acorn squash waiting around for this very delicious meal!

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:53 PM

yay! let me know if you like it

Diana @sosmallsostrong January 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Hi Meg! This looks wonderful. I adore squash and eggs so this is right up my alley. Lately I haven’t been in the mood for a sweet breakfast so this is perfect!..Funny enough, I just made something the other day from her posts too!!

Great Job!

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM

that’s funny! what did you make of hers!?

Diana @sosmallsostrong January 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I saw a pic of her almond joy bars form another website and immediately looked it up and made my own version!! :) Though I’m buying squash this weekend to try this.

Nikki S January 29, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Hey Meg,

Great recipe! I eat a ton of squash for breakfast, and I’ve always wondered- are there any benefits of eating the skin from a nutritional standpoint? Thanks! :)

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I always leave the skin on for the nutritional benefits! usually, the skin contains the bulk of the fibre and the flesh right under the skin contains the bulk of the nutrients, too!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM

i saw your picture on ig and was like WOAH looks amazing!!!

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM

thanks sweetie

Jody - Fit at 56 January 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!!! :) If you make it for me I will try it! :)

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM

i would love to cook for you

Karina January 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM

OMG I feel so honored that you posted about me!!! You are seriously the best love. And just so you know, YOU inspire me daily. Your food looks beautiful as always, and so do you. Love you!

Meg January 29, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I was just about to message you on FB and let you know I featured you in today’s post ;) Expect more. Especially if you ever decide to do a guest post for moi :)

And thanks for the sweet comment – I was really in need today for an “I love you” :)

Carolyn January 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Hi Meg,

This recipe is a great idea. I like the combo of squash and ground meat and am always looking to get slightly more creative or add something new (like an egg!!) I sometimes like to add hot sauce and maple syrup to the squash/meat combo to give it a spicy/sweet kick :)

Also I love you and your blog, and I usually never read comments but I wanted to comment on this recipe so I happened to read the first few on this post, and i literally cannot imagine what critical comments people could have written on a post about meatza. Love you and keep up the amazing work, it is always inspiring to see you trying out new things workout and food wise and going with the flow. I love it, stay strong xoxoxo

Carolyn

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 30, 2014 at 5:19 AM

I am learning to love savory breakfasts more and more…but I always enjoy with a side of fruit!! :)

Mitchell February 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Oh. my. god.

I have made this every day for the last three days (using sweet potato). It is so good!

Thanks for sharing Meg :D

Becky@TheSavedRunner February 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

This looks so good! I am so glad I found it! I will be trying this sometime soon!