hey there, gorgeous!
weekly nourishment and
receive my free guide:
How To Fall In Love
With Yourself

Whole 30 Week 1 Recap

Well, I’ve completed my first week of my first Whole 30, so I thought I’d update you on how I’m doing, if I noticed any changes, and all that jazz ;)

As I’ve previously mentioned, my food choices prior to starting Whole 30 were very similar to the Whole 30 protocol (no alcohol, gluten, grains, and rarely ever any sugar or legumes) however, I did consume dairy regularly, so the removal of dairy was the biggest change for me.

Even though my diet was very similar to the Whole 30 protocol prior to starting, I chose to complete my first Whole 30 to continue healing my digestion, which you can read more about here and here!

As I said, the removal of dairy was the biggest change for me since starting Whole 30.

Particularly in the form of whey protein powder. Oh, my beloved chocolate sweet potato protein ice cream. My chocolate sweet potato protein ice cream was my go to postworkout meal. It was packed with complex carbohydrates and deliciously flavoured chocolate protein powder. It was the best postworkout meal ever and I didn’t think I’d ever find a replacement.

However, since starting Whole 30, I’ve removed dairy and protein powders, so I had to come up with another postworkout meal for myself.

I wanted to stick with having a large sweet potato postworkout since it seemed to be working quite well for me. So, I just needed to find a new source of protein.

It is recommended to keep your postworkout meal’s fat content at a minimum, since fat slows down digestion, which is not ideal postworkout. So, many people enjoy using egg whites as their protein source postworkout if their choosing whole foods instead of a protein powder. However, I personally didn’t want to use egg whites.

I haven’t bought egg whites in ages as I believe eating the whole egg is your best choice. So, I wasn’t about to start buying egg whites again.

Since starting Whole 30, my postworkout of choice has been chicken and sweet potato.

I have to admit, the thought of sitting down to a chicken breast postworkout didn’t sound like much fun compared to my chocolate sweet potato protein ice cream, but since making the switch I have noticed wonderful benefits and question whether or not I will do protein shakes postworkout ever again. Even after I complete my Whole 30…

After eating a postworkout meal containing whole, solid foods compared to a protein shake or protein ice cream, I feel a lot better. I feel more satisfied and it seems as though my hunger cues and energy levels have improved since implementing a solid food containing postworkout meal.

I enjoy feeling energized throughout the day without any dips, which I sometimes felt after consuming a liquid meal postworkout, so I think my chicken and sweet potato postworkout might be here to stay!

I’ve even been freezing my sweet potato the night before and enjoying it thawed postworkout. It’s nice to have something cold after a training session and I find the sweet potato very sweet and much like dessert when ate this way! :) Sometimes I will sprinkle it with cinnamon, too!

So, overall…

My first week of Whole 30 has been great and I’ve learnt that a postworkout meal containing solid foods works best for my body! :)

Do you notice a difference in how you feel if you eat a solid vs. liquid meal postworkout? What do you eat postworkout?

I like sweet potato postworkout ;)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

33 Comments

Jenn@Mark My Miles!

February 10, 2014

Love the recaps on this. I have been having GI issues, rash on my back and torso and headaches and wondering if I should give this a try. How does Whole30 differ from Paleo?

February 21, 2014

well, whole 30 is for 30 days whereas paleo is a lifestyle. :) but other wise they are very similar

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen

February 10, 2014

Yay for Whole 30 week 1!! The energy really is pretty great…it only gets better. And I never considered myself a “low energy” person BEFORE the Whole 30. My post workout is sweet potato a hard boiled egg…and I actually like it too!!!

February 21, 2014

i am so happy for you tara

Linz @ Itz Linz

February 10, 2014

lollllll the last picture is classic MEG!

February 21, 2014

i thought you would think so HAHA

megan mcgrane

February 10, 2014

So glad your whole 30 is going well!! I usually find if I am very hungry post workout a liquid meal doesnt cut it even if it is more callorically dense than something like a piece of chicken breast. Whole 30 really caused me to scale back my shake making after it was over! !

February 21, 2014

i don’t think i will ever do shakes pwo again!

Diana @sosmallsostrong

February 10, 2014

Hahaha sweet pic to end it!

Looks like week one was a success. I’ve always loved a liquid meal after my workout because I’m never very hungry right after. Talk to me like an hour later and I want some serious solid food! Keep up the good work!! :)

Livi

February 10, 2014

haha love the picture. I usually go for yogurt or fruit + nut butter after a workout. When I have a smoothie I feel good for a while, but then definitely notice myself hungrier a little bit later!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun

February 10, 2014

I love these posts as I am really trying to figure out what is wrong with my stomach! It has been all over the place! I have been eating whole foods post workout now just simply because it has been easier and I’ve been working out later, but it is an adjustment.

Allison

February 10, 2014

Just thought I would put this out there as food for thought, no pun intended. Your restrictive diet might actually be exacerbating your “digestive issues,” but then again, I’m no doctor. Then again, neither are you…

“An intolerance to a food item will mean that the body is unable to produce enough digestive enzymes to handle the food breakdown effectively and the result will be various gastrointestinal symptoms: gas, bloating, pain, sometimes acid reflux, possibly diarrhea and/or constipation, and occasionally skin rashes as well.

When food intolerances appear and the patient has an eating disorder, then the primary reason for failing to tolerate these foods will be too little energy within the body available to produce adequate amounts of digestive enzymes.

It’s a catch-22: you have to eat to provide enough energy for the digestive system to get back up to speed, but the digestive system is how you transform food into energy and it’s not yet up to speed.”

February 21, 2014

thanks for the comment, but the foods that are being eliminated from my diet at the time is actually healing me :)

Heather

February 10, 2014

Have you been missing your chia pudding? Are you allowed to eat chia puddings on this plan?

February 21, 2014

chia is allowed! i still have chia!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome

February 10, 2014

I had a hard time eating chicken post or pre- workout when I did the whole30 but now don’t mind at all! Well, it is a little hard to eat cold chicken breast at 5:00am… One of my favorite post workout carb snacks is sweet potato roasted with apple and cinnamon (recipe on my blog) then topped with a scoop of sunbutter. So good! That or spaghetti squash with sunbutter is a good one too :-)

February 21, 2014

that sounds great!

Cat

February 10, 2014

Tee hee at sweet tater mouth! I hadn’t thought about it but whey protein probably is the least ‘real’ food I eat on a regular (though not daily) basis, and hadn’t thought how it might affect me. I like the idea of more sweet potato in my life, so might start swapping that combo in more often myself! Great to hear it’s going well ;)

becky

February 10, 2014

Hi! I’m just curious if/when you are going to add fruit which is part of the Whole 30 program?

February 21, 2014

i have fruit daily :) whenever i feel like it :)

april

February 10, 2014

yay, i’m glad that your first week was so successful and you’re finding what works for your body and its needs! i’m not a fan of protein powders – i prefer getting my protein from solids, such as greek yogurt and eggs (two of my faves).

and i completely agree, sweet potatoes are THE BEST :)

Jess @ PaleoJess

February 10, 2014

I have a banana and a WPI post workout. Great recap of week one and food for thought on post workout fuelling :)

Ali Q

February 10, 2014

Thanks for the update! I’ve been thinking of trying Whle 30. Keep up that great work.

Jody - Fit at 56

February 10, 2014

You are so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am loving the series & following this & I know you will help many!! Too cute!!!!

Natalie @ lovenataliemarie

February 10, 2014

It’s great to hear that you had such a positive experience! I have wanted to try it, but I have a hard time sometime coming up with creative foods. I may try it out sometime. I usually have french toast or pancakes with fruit post workout. :D

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More

February 11, 2014

I have been LOVING smoothies at lunch time but I feel like the last couple weeks, they haven’t had the same staying power. How weird, right? I’m not sure if I changed the way I was making them or what but I always feel like I need something else with them and a snack about an hour later. Maybe I just need ALL the FOOD! ;)

Purelytwins

February 11, 2014

hard to give up smoothies, we know as they used to be are go-to for many years. But last year we started having eggs and some type of carb. We love eggs! Whole eggs ;) we don’t buy egg whites either.

You are really starting to inspire us to take a break from protein powder.

And sorry we have not made a date to chat as we are getting ready to leave town this weekend. But when we get back we must catch up!

February 21, 2014

ohhhhhh i didn’t know you were gone sisters! well hopefully we can chat :D cause i really really miss you and i think we have so much to chat about

20. Pingback: Whole 30 Week 2 Recap

21. Pingback: Whole 30 Week 3 Recap

Kat

March 6, 2014

What exactly do you eat post-workout? Just a grilled chicken breast and a roasted sweet potato? I can’t tell from the photo. I’m so sick of the taste of protein powders so am interested in making the shift but shakes are so convenient! Could definitely use some encouragement!

March 6, 2014

Hey Kat!

Yep, I think I might be done with protein powders post workout too unless I need them in a pinch! :) Or when the summer comes around…. I like shakes then, but right now I am doing sweet potato and chicken breast or any leftover protein i have and then some veggies too if i have :)