My First Whole 30: The Final Recap

by Meg on March 3, 2014

Well, I did it! I completed my very first Whole 30!

Photo-Feb-01-8-49-29-AM

For a whole 30 days I followed the Whole 30 protocol, learnt a lot about myself, worked on healing my gut, and kept you up to date along the way!

After the first week of Whole 30, I learnt that my body prefers a solid meal postworkout vs. a liquid meal.

After the second week, I learnt that following the Whole 30 protocol really isn’t difficult to do even while travelling. So, I shared some tips with you here!

After the third week, I noticed that I had a consistent amount of energy throughout the day, my complexion improved, I began to sleep better than I ever had before, I gained some weight, and strength!

Overall, my experience with Whole 30 has been phenomenal and I am truly so happy and proud of myself that I completed it!

But, now I’m sure you’re all wondering… “Now what?!”

After completing Whole 30, one is now able to “test” foods that were eliminated from their diet by reintroducing them to see how their body reacts to them. However, you do not have to reintroduce the foods you’ve eliminated if you don’t want to. There is no rule saying you have to reintroduce the foods because you may feel better without grains and know you don’t want to add them back into your diet!

However, following the strict Whole 30 protocol for life isn’t realistic, either. So, this is my post-Whole 30 strategy:

- I personally was not consuming grains, legumes, or alcohol prior to starting Whole 30 and I know my body feels best that way, so I will keep that the same. However, I’m not strict about it. For an example, if an event presents itself that grains are on my plate, I can eat them. It’s all about balance and being healthy physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

- At the beginning of Whole 30, I anticipated I would be itching to get dairy back into my diet once March rolled around, but I was wrong! During the entire 30 days, not once did I crave dairy and now I feel that I function better without it. However, that’s not saying I will never have it again. My favourite types of dairy are Greek yogurt and cottage cheese and if I feel like having either of those (or any other type of dairy) one day I will have some! Again, it’s all about balance and giving your body what it wants and needs to be healthy!

- I may have some “paleo-fied” baked goods soon. I love Lori and Michelle’s plantain bread every now and then. So, I might make some soon! “Paleo-fied” baked goods have never been a staple in my diet. I feel better when I eat simple foods. Think plain plantains, baked sweet potato, avocado, and fried eggs. But, having plantain bread every now and then makes me happy and I enjoy it!

- I’m not going to worry about carrageenan. I like almond milk every now and then, too, and the brand I buy contains carrageenan, but that’s not going to stop me from having it! However, I do really want to make my own nut milks, which would have no carrageenan added. Making my own nut milk has been on my list of things to make for a while now – I just need to do it! ;)

- I’m also not going to be strict about sweeteners. If I have protein powder and it is sweetened with stevia, I’m ok with that. However, over the past 30 days I haven’t craved anything sweet nor have I felt that I needed protein powder to supplement my diet. Real, whole food is where it is at and whole foods that are naturally sweet such as figs, blueberries, raspberries, sweet potato, etc. have just the right amount of sweetness for me!

If you’re interested in doing your first Whole 30 please let me know! I’d be happy to offer you my support and answer any questions you may have!

Do you have any additional questions for me regarding my Whole 30 experience? If you completed a Whole 30 of your own, what did you learn about yourself? What was/is your strategy post-Whole 30?

p.s. if you did something awesome this weekend and want to submit it as a high five please email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com so I can feature you in this week’s High Five Friday :D

Linz @ Itz Linz March 3, 2014 at 7:17 AM

my sweet tooth has been on fire lately so baby itz and i will cover that category for you!! haha ;)

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM

HAHA i love it! too cute

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables March 3, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Congrats on finishing, Meg! When I went vegan for 6 months, I found myself missing Greek yogurt, which is why I brought dairy back into my diet. But you’re so right, it’s all about moderation and eating what your body needs!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Congrats on listening to YOUR body Liz. Goodness, I ALWAYS LOVE your comments :)

Amanda Browning March 3, 2014 at 7:56 AM

get some nuts in water, we are making nut milk! cashew and almond for the win!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM

HAHA! ok ok I will get my nuts soaking ;)

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee March 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Thanks for the final recap Meg and for keeping us up to date with your journey! I just started today and am excited. Congrats for rocking it and glad you are feeling so good – love your balanced outlook

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM

AHHHHHH Congrats on starting today :) I remember you mentioning that on IG! You will do great girl and learn so much about yourself!

Shannon March 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Wow, this Whole 30 plan sounds like something I definitely need to try out! I think I would be able to figure out what intolerances I have (still an on-going question for me) and probably figure out the root of certain cravings I have! Hopefully to keep them at bay :)

Thanks for all these tips and pointers!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Whole 30 could definitely provide you with some answers :D It’s definitely a life changer!

Heather March 3, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Are you going back to whey protein? I’ve been trying different vegan proteins to go dairy-free but so far most have a chalky taste.

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I don’t really feel like I need protein powder in my diet as I mentioned above so I don’t have a plan on having it any time soon, but if I did have pp it would be whey and I’d learn how it affects me then :)

My favourite plant based pp is harmonized protein powder :)

hazedah March 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Omg I feel like you and me share a lot of the same intolerances (except I think I’m ok with rice). Do you ever feel restricted when it comes to menu options? I see you eat alot of the same 5 foods over and over again and I tend to do the same, how do you cope with this? I get soooo bored.

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Well, I don’t get bored and I eat a lot more than just 5 different foods :) So, I don’t feel restricted or bored ;)

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Wow congrats on making it through!! That is awesome. I like the strategy you have to maintain some while realizing you have to have a little bit of wiggle room!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM

thanks for noticing that Sara :D it’s never good to be so strict all the time you know!?

Lizzie March 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Did you just have 3 meals a day? I can’t tell from your posts how often you ate and it seems like you didn’t have any fruit or healthy fats? Just curious. :) remember you deserve treats and sweets too.. I’m glad you can do your own thing and make it work, I just don’t see how or where you would eat a non-whole food like dessert or a snack.. Those are good for you too

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Didn’t have any fruit or healthy fats!? I eat an avocado a day, lots of coconut oil, nuts, etc. I also have berries and other types of fruit almost on a daily basis :)

And thanks for the tips on deserving treats. I know that very much so, but I feed myself the foods I want, crave, and enjoy :) And these are them :)

Megan (The Lyons' Share) March 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Congratulations, Meg! I loved hearing about your experience, and I really love your balanced approach. I’m all about challenges but I’m also all about making sure that balance is a part of your life most of the time. Great job!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM

WOW thanks Megan :) Always love your comments <3

Livi March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Sounds like it was a great experience! Tests like these allow us to get so much more in tune with our bodies and what we need!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM

And it is SO amazing becoming more in tune with your body :D i just love it

Liz March 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I have the same question as Heather, are you going back to your whey protein?

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:52 PM

If I need it for convenience sake, but after 30 days I can see that I really don’t need to supplement with a powder and feel a lot better with WHOLE foods :)

Liz March 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Thanks Meg. What are you favorite sources of protein now? I see eggs and fish are a must in your meals now?

Meg March 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I like all sources of protein. I live alone right now, so the reason you see so much of one source of protein at once is because I cook in batches. Also, remember, I don’t post pics of all my meals ;) But, I truly do have variety and enjoy all types of protein :) There isn’t a source I don’t enjoy :D

Natalie @ lovenataliemarie March 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I love trying out new food experiences to see what works well with my body. It’s all trial and error. I’m glad you had a positive experience! :)

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:52 PM

lindsay March 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM

glad it helped you friend! way to go

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:52 PM

YAY thanks girl xo

Purelytwins March 3, 2014 at 7:53 PM

wahoo!! so happy you enjoyed your whole30 day experience! it’s a great feeling when you stick to majority real foods isn’t :)
thanks for the shout out love!!
chat tomorrow!!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

our chat today was wonderful :D cannot wait for the next one – i love you both (we are SO triplets ;))

Jody - Fit at 56 March 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I LOVE that you embraced this yet the after the month plan is so doable & flexible – love that! Plus you may find certain things just don’t work for you…

I am concerned about carrageenan but yet it is in some things I have – I keep it to a minimum.

Thank you for writing about your journey!

Meg March 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Thanks for READING Jody :) I really appreciate you keeping up with my journey <3

Sarah March 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I’m just wrapping up my first Whole 30 week which I’m guessing is the most challenging. I feel like I’m eating too much meat… did you feel like that? I do eggs in the morning, usually chicken and tons of veggies for lunch and dinner sometimes involves more chicken, seafood, or red meat. One night I did a meat free dinner and went to bed grouchy and determined to fall asleep before hunger pangs crept up on me. Any concerns about the amount of eat consumed during a Whole 30? Thanks so much for your posts you make this seem doable!

Meg March 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Hi Sarah!

I definitely don’t feel like I am eating too much meat :) I guess this lifestyle is just fitting for me and my body does well with it, but eating meat at every meal isn’t for everyone :) Just listen to your body :) <3

Hayley June 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Loved hearing about your experience with Whole30. It is amazing to hear how a few simple changes can make such a big impact on how you feel! I’m just kicking off my own Whole30. Thanks for sharing your experiences!