My Health Journey: The Mindset

by Meg on March 20, 2014

Today is part three of my new series called “My Health Journey”. You can find part 1 and part 2 by following the links provided.

After defining what health meant to me and living by following my personal definition of health, I also knew that it was necessary for me to shift my mindset in several areas of my life in order to fully recover and regain my health.

Nancy-Tues-300x300

It’s true. Mindset is everything. I say it all the time and once I changed my mindset, I was able to make huge gains in my recovery and get to where I am today.

As I mentioned, there were several areas in my life that required a change in my mindset. The area that needed the biggest change of mindset was in the gym.

The picture above was taken just over a year ago, November 2012, and I trained very similar to how I am training at the gym today; however, my mindset was completely different.

When the picture above was taken, I put a lot of focus on my outside appearance and trained to achieve the physique I wanted.

After defining what health meant to me, I realized that working out to achieve a certain physique was not living up to my personal definition of health. So, I knew I needed to change my mindset when training.

In order to live by my definition of health, I knew that when I walked into the gym to workout I should be training to be the best version of me. Not to have the best shoulders, biceps, butt, etc.

A major influencer on my change of mindset was Nia Shanks. Although I don’t know her personally, she had a huge impact on my life. She trains to be awesome.

When I first read that Nia trains to be awesome I thought it was the coolest thing and that it made so much sense. Why was I putting so much focus on my outer appearance? I was completely missing the bigger picture – to be awesome or the best me I could be!

Once I changed my mindset when it came to working out, my mindset about food changed, too.

I was eating six meals a day, weighing my food, and tracking my calories and macros in order to help me achieve that “perfect” physique I was envisioning. But once I started to train with my new mindset, I was able to let go of these unnecessary actions, such as tracking my calories and macros, and start to tune into my body and, for the first time ever, understand which foods make me function best, feel best, and assist me in becoming the best version of myself.

This is me today with a new mindset in the gym and the kitchen. I train and eat in a way that makes me feel best, rather than how I used to train and eat – to look a certain way. Today I train in a way and eat the foods that help me feel and function my best and that is one of the things that has helped me most to get to where I am today!

Have you had success after changing your mindset about a situation?

PS don’t forget tomorrow is High Five Friday! I want to hear your high fives! Email me at adashofmeg@gmail.com to share your success story of the week! :D

Linz @ Itz Linz March 20, 2014 at 7:37 AM

mindset is EVERYTHING! struggling with infertility is a prime example… while i found it hard to be perfectly chipper and happy all.the.time., it definitely helped when i focused on the positive and did things that made me feel good (take walks, be outdoors, surround myself with friends and family, etc.)

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM

you did great girl <3

Jenn@Mark My Miles! March 20, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Mindset provides me with freedom. Being in the same situation but having a different mindset can work wonders. Where one mindset may make me feel like a prisoner in a situation, another may make me feel free of choices and empowered.

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM

beautiful!

Ashley March 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Anyone can follow a workout plan or a diet, but you’re right, the most important thing is getting your mindset on track!!

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner March 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM

It’s crazy how much changing your mindset on something can change your results and how you feel. And what a difference in the pictures. You’re not even looking at the camera, but you can tell you’re happier in the second photo. I think your progress both mental and physical is great!

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM

AHHHHH I am so much happier. :D Thank you for noticing <3

Jennifer March 20, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Thank you for sharing all of this Meg. I went through a bout with disordered eating a few years ago and although I am recovered from that I know have run into some health issues with my thyroid that have made me put on weight and not feel myself. But I am on the path to getting that fixed and reading about your recovery and this mindset and definition of health has made me realize that once I do get on medicine and feeling better I need to focus on being the best me, not just some “perfect” image in my head. Perfect is impossible. And boring! Thanks Meg for sharing!

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Ahhhhh I love this! Always here for you girl! <3

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Mindset is HUGE! Our minds – whether thinking positively or negatively have a huge influence over ourselves and our decisions.

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Keri March 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Have I told you how awesome and inspiring you are lately? If no, then this is your reminder! :)

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM

LOL you’re the best :D

Calista March 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I really do love this series of posts. I’m learning a lot from you. I do believe that our brains will give up before our bodies do.

I have had success in changing my mindset with a few things, which are not health- or food-related. However, with food, I have a real struggle. I have a very hard time changing my thinking when it comes to stress eating. It gets the better of me often and it’s something I have struggled with for years.

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM

So happy you’re enjoying the series!!!! <3 I stress eat at times, too, love. But I guess it’s the fact of being ok with it. And I also find deep breathing and getting into the moment helps me <3

Purelytwins March 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM

over the years we have learned how powerful the mind is!!!
it is all about the mindset for so many things in life!!
by changing the way we think – has helped us on so many different levels ;)
hugs

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM

i know you girls are all about positive thoughts :D

Natalie @ lovenataliemarie March 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Changing my mindset was one of the hardest things for me to do, but when I did it, I felt the biggest weight lift off my shoulders. I was obsessed with how I looked, but when I really thought about things, I wasn’t truly happy. I feel so much more better now than when I used too. I’m glad to hear that you are doing better! :)

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM

So happy for you girl!

Amy @ fitnessmeetsfrosting.com March 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM

OMG love it!!! I’ve haven’t been comfortable with my outer appearance since as long as I can remember. Although I’ve grown, I think changing my mindset and working on being the best me will make me happier than focusing on certain body parts. You’ve inspired me to change my mindset and work on MY definition of health :)

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Awwwwww Amy <3 I am so happy I could inspire you

Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner March 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I’m loving reading about your journey! Mindset certainly sets the stage for any endeavor and certainly can be applied to anything in life!

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM

So happy you’re loving these posts :) thank you <3

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM

It’s crazy how much our mind controls our health, isn’t it?! Getting my mind on track was what was necessary for my healthy changes. So happy to see and hear that you’re in a healthier place both mentally and physically! <3

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM

ASHLEY :D your comments seriously make me blush :D aaaaaand i may have done a little happy dance when i saw your comment too ;) thanks for your support girl <3

Jody - Fit at 56 March 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM

LOVE!! I know you are helping so many with your posts on this!!! You look so much healthier now!!!! :)

Meg March 22, 2014 at 7:59 PM