More Living Time

by Meg on June 11, 2014

I have to say, yesterday was one of the best days I’ve had in a long time.

I started my day as I usually do, completing my normal morning ritual as I do every morning – breakfast, tea, listen to podcast, get ready for the day, gym – and then I spent the rest of my day with one of my very best friends.

It was absolutely wonderful.

It was filled with laughter, girl talk, mall walking, tea sipping, strawberry picking (she lives on a strawberry farm!), and a dinner with her family.

But do you know what wasn’t (or hardly) part of my day yesterday?

Instagram. The computer. The internet. Technology.

I was so busy with my friend that I didn’t even have a chance to go on the computer or scroll through Instagram and it felt so good.

I talked about the benefits of insta-cleansing and insta-fasting a couple of weeks ago, but now I want to take it further. I’m committing to 50% less screen time and 50% more living time.

Because life is so much better when you’re not in front of a screen all day.

Yes I have a lot of computer work to do, my email inbox is overflowing (sorry to all of you who are waiting to hear back from me!), and I love blogging (it is my outlet!), but days like yesterday prove to me that I need to take a slight step back and do at least 50% more living and 50% less time staring at a screen.

I felt like I was radiating with positive vibes all day long yesterday and want to keep that awesome feeling going and I know I can keep the positive vibes flowing by setting this goal!

Are you interested in joining in with me? Could you benefit from 50% less screen time and 50% more living time? If yes, please join me and start living more!

This post is sponsored by Musselman’s 50% More Campaign; however, all thoughts and opinion are and will always be my own.

Livi June 11, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Love this so much!!

Meg June 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Angela June 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I’m UP for that challenge. I definitely notice a difference in my mood when I spend too much time on Instagram or facebook.

Meg June 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

i am so happy you’re going to join me :) xo

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 11, 2014 at 8:18 AM

I love this and I love you! I made a conscious effort while at Blend this weekend to NOT pull out my phone every few minutes. Yes it meant that I didn’t get some pictures with friends that I wish I did but it meant that I was taking the time to just ENJOY their company vs needing to take out my phone.

Meg June 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

i think you made the right decision :) i am very proud of you :) that sounds like a high five to me ;)

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner June 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Good for you! I think it’s great that you’re willing to commit to 50% less screen time. People really do miss a lot of life when they’re stuck behind a screen. :)

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

it’s so true!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun June 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Love this! I moved last week and even though it was more of a forced time away from all things technology it was a nice break! Sometimes you just need to make yourself step away

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

congrats on the move baby!

cait @pieceofcait June 11, 2014 at 10:26 AM

love love love!

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

:D i love ya too

Keri June 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM

So wonderful, Meg!!!

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

thanks sis – miss ya

Michele June 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM

We all need days like that! It’s hard to pull away sometimes but spending the day with a great friend helps with that a lot. I definitely try to disconnect on the weekends but it’s a struggle to really let go. I always feel great when I do though.

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

that is why i choose not to blog on weekends :D

Jordan Leigh June 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Love this. Love you. Count me in! Today I couldn’t even scroll back far enough to see all the instagram posts I had missed since the last time I got on. It is so freeing to not compulsively feel the need to check it. Now. I gotta work on the whole email thing… I’m pretty bad about that haha but I blame it on my job. Baby steps, right? ;)
xoxox

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

baby steps is right! i dooooo have to catch up on my emails though :(

Jordan Leigh June 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM

You can do it hun! <3 Just tackle a few at a time. And then buy yourself something pretty :)

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM

omg i DID just buy myself something pretty :D i will send you pic

Dr. Adam Kipp June 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This post is great! I am always telling my patients that sometimes they need a break from the technological world. So many people are worried about what others are doing or posting on the internet and social media and it can get exhausting! It is so important for your health and sanity to take a break from all of our tech gadgets and to spend time enjoying the moment!

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

so happy you liked this post :) thank you :)

Polly @ Tasty Food Project June 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I’ve been trying to spend less time absorbing my time in front of a screen too! It’s so refreshing to just enjoy my surroundings and have face-to-face interactions with others!

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

YES :D

Julie June 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

When I was at the Blend Retreat or anytime I’m on vacation, I don’t bring my computer. I do take lots of pictures with my phone though.

Meg June 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM

right on girl :D

Laura @FitMamaLove June 11, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I definitely need to cut back on my screen time. It’s really hard when I’m still working to grow my blog and connecting with others is so important. I’m not sure I can commit to 50%, but maybe 30% less screen time would work.

Sounds like a fun day!

Kiersten June 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Considering I have a full time job (on top of the blog) that requires me to be at a computer I can’t fully commit to this but I totally love the idea of spending more time living! I will definitely make the effort when I can to spend less time on the computer. Thanks for the inspiration as usual :)

Amanda June 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Ooooh – those strawberries look so good! Do you mix them with anything or eat them straight out of hand? I love them in oatmeal and in smoothies. Yum. Wish I could get some fresh from a farm! I bet her family has all kinds of good recipes for the strawberries.

Do they sell them in stores? Sorry for all the questions! I just got back from a road trip where I got to pick some peaches and sample some of the yummy products the farm makes. If you friends farm has a stand or something, you should totally post it on your blog! I’m sure they’d love you to drive traffic their way!!! ;-)

Anyway – on to the topic. I could definitely benefit from not using my phone so much. On my trip, I lost cell phone reception a lot and I was so frustrated, which made me realize that I am waaaaaay too connected to it and need to back off! I think I’ll have to wean myself slowly, though. LOL.

GiGi Eats June 12, 2014 at 12:27 AM

I REALLY, TRULY wish I could join your 50% less face time… But I cannot! :( My job does not allow it, and neither does my school! UGH! I really want to though because I truly feel like I am a SLAVE to social media and the internet. I think the only way to get rid of it.. Is to get out of the country!

Kristen June 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM

This is so amazing – a great reminder!! I have a desk job and sit in front of a computer all day, but I can definitely work towards reducing my mindless screen time after work !

Amy @ fitnessmeetsfrosting June 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

OMG with you 100%! I feel really guilty if I don’t blog, answer comments, or check Instagram BUT I need to live in the moment more! Being present with our loved ones is so much more important :)

Emily June 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM

This puts the biggest smile on my face. You look SO happy and radiant. What a perfect day– if only we lived closer and could do the same!
xo

Purelytwins June 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

oh yes we have been doing a lot less on the computer, well phones too!! We even stopped blogging on Saturdays ;)

livin life!