A New Workout Program & Postworkout Fuel

by Meg on June 17, 2014

Well, it’s been quite a few weeks (or months) since I’ve shared a workout program, so I thought I’d update you today on what I’m doing in the gym and a new supplement company I’ve been working with and loving! :)

First, let’s talk workouts!

I just finished up this workout program that I shared with you back in April. During this program I was able to increase my deadlift dramatically as well as my squat and OH press by a little bit. Overall, I am happy with my progress, but definitely looking for more strength and muscle gains.

Today I am starting a new workout program that I will follow for the next 4 – 6 weeks or so. Here is what it looks like:

Upper Body A (usually done on Tuesday)

1) Hang cleans

2) Unassisted neutral grip pull ups

3) BB OH press

4) Chest supported DB row

5) Incline DB chest press

6A) Face pulls

6B) Ab roll outs

Lower Body A (usually done on Wednesday)

1) Box jump

2) Back squat

3) BB glute bridge

4) Reverse DB lunge from box

5A) Reverse hyperextension

5B) Hanging leg raise

6) Standing calf raise

Upper Body B (usually done on Friday)

1) Push press

2) Assisted neutral grip pull ups

3) DB chest press

4) Landmine press

5) Bent over BB row

6A) Bar dips

6B) DB curls

7) Lateral raises

Lower Body B (usually done on Sunday)

1) Deadlift

2) Front squat

3) BB hip thrust

4) DB walking lunges

5A) KB swings

5B) Cable abductions

I also always add some conditioning work using the prowler after my deadlift workout on Sundays and some OH carries after one of my two upper body workouts.

I always use Lindsay and Nia Shanks as inspirations when writing my programs and this particular program was based off of the most recent program Lindsay shared on her blog.

I will be trying a few new exercises throughout this program and am hoping they help me build up my legs more! I’m anticipating those reverse DB lunges will be tough!

For the past few weeks after my workouts I’ve been refuelling with 100% natural iso-protein from North Coast Naturals.

I mix either their chocolate or vanilla protein with approximately 2 cups mashed sweet potato for a perfect post workout recovery meal!

I love both chocolate and vanilla flavours, but their vanilla is one of the best vanilla’s I’ve ever tasted, if not the best overall!

Since doing my first Whole30 back in February, I didn’t think I’d have protein powder after my workouts again any time soon, but now that the weather is hot, I have been craving something a little easier to get down right after a workout compared to a solid meal containing chicken breast and potatoes or something similar.

This is working for me right now and I am proud to be on the North Coast Naturals team! They offer several great products that I’ve tried over the past few weeks and will be sharing more reviews with you in future posts!

What do your workouts look like lately? Are you a fan of protein powder after your workouts?

PS don’t forget to submit your high fives to me so I can feature you in this upcoming High Five Friday post! :D My email address is adashofmeg@gmail.com

Amanda Browning June 17, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Yes, and no. I like that it makes it fast and easy. It is almost essential when I teach twice, I literally cannot get my energy up without something fast!

Livi June 17, 2014 at 7:51 AM

I’ve been looking for an upper body workout to try, and this looks perfect! Thanks for sharing!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 17, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Looks like a great program you’ve put together for yourself. I’m doing a similar upper/lower body split at the moment :)

Linz @ Itz Linz June 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM

errrrrr walking??? hehe with the occasional lunges and/or pushups at home

Shannon June 17, 2014 at 8:18 AM

That sounds like a great combo! I love sweet potatoes, and usually just have a baked one with peanut butter in the morning, but using protein powder sounds awesome!
I like protein in the morning, but I only really have it in smoothies, so depending on breakfast that’s how I use it :)

I love Nia Shanks too!

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun June 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Looks like an awesome program! Tough! Can’t wait to see how it goes for you!

Lindsay June 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Awesome! Nice workouts! ;) Thanks for the shoutout. And you know I LOVE my protein shakes. :)

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner June 17, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I’m in between programs and usually use a random one from a Google search. LOL! So thank you VERY much for sharing this. Please don’t mind if I steal it. Ha. I don’t do much for protein powders unless it’s a really tough workout.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM

LOVE the look of your new workout program. I tuned in immediately to the press & push press but those were our strength this morning which is probably why. We also did push jerks which I LOVE because it lets me lift more! :)

Michele June 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM

No protein powder for me, I don’t do much strength mainly running, and I eat lots of protein and fat so I’ve never felt a need for protein powder.

Looks like a great workout :) Hopefully you’ll see that progress you want.

Christa @ Edible Balance June 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Go team NCN!! So happy to be a part of the team too, love them and love YOU :) You are a beast my friend, that’s quite the workout. Mixing NCN protein powder with mashed sweet potatoes? Perfect.

Diana @sosmallsostrong June 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Currently I’m all upper body! Getting an MRI this week for my knee aaaaagain so I’m deciding to kill it with the upper body!! :)

Purelytwins June 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM

girl you look amazing!! and that sweet potato protein meal looks wonderful!! we are enjoying lots of protein smoothies too

Jody - Fit at 56 June 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

It always comes back to what works for you – always! :) Looking great!!!!!!

Kristen June 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM

You look AMAZING, Meg!! Looks like you have some awesome workouts lined up! :)

Ky June 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Workouts look good but on a side note hang cleans shouldn’t be using much upper body at all if you do them correctly.

Hayley June 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

I’m on day 17 of my Whole30 and feeling fantastic! It has given me immediate relief of my digestive issues. That being said the things I’m missing most and will likely try to reintroduce post Whole30 are David’s Tea (I decided to be super strict and not eat anything with “flavoring” even those that say “natural flavoring”) and my protein powder. My workouts often tend to be after I put my son to bed and I don’t relish the idea of chowing down on chicken and sweet potato at 9:30-10pm at night. Post Whole30 I may compromise by going the whole food route when I’m able to work out earlier in the day and go back to protein power for my evening workouts.
On the tea front thank goodness I also love peppermint tea ;)
Great looking workout. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Emily June 20, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Um, you look amazing.
Love you, pretty lady!

xo

Sophie July 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM

You look AMAZING Meg! The recent photo you posted on IG – wow girl! I might steal this split, it looks really good :)

What do you eat for snacks in the afternoon? (if you don’t mind me asking!) I’ve been doing protein and sweet tater lately post workout and I wouldn’t go back to my oats now!