My Favourite Type of Fry Recipe

by Meg on June 24, 2014

Good morning, loves!

Today I have a recipe for you! :)

Today’s recipe is a recipe for my favourite type of fry, plantain fries!

I’ve tried many different types of fries before…

Everything from white potato to sweet potato and parsnip to carrot, but plantain fries definitely win my heart. They are simply the best type of fry!

Lori and Michelle inspired me to make my first batch of plantain fries as they are most definitely the plantain queens and ever since my first experience with plantains, I’ve been hooked! And I think I got my fiancé, Eddie, hooked on them this morning, too ;)

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 8.59.09 AM

Both Eddie and myself had plantain fries for breakfast this morning, but my Mom and Dad also had some bites, too! Everyone loved them!

My Mom thought they tasted just like a regular white potato fry and Eddie described them to be “cakey”.

The texture of plantains is definitely unique and I love it. It’s very dense and satisfying, so if you have yet to experiment with plantains, I highly suggest you try out my recipe for plantain fries or try one of the many recipes using plantains created by Lori and Michelle!

Plantain Fries

Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 green plantain (I choose the green ones because they are not sweet and perfect for savoury recipes such as these fries!)

1 tbsp coconut oil

sea salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Peel plantain and cut into fries.
Melt coconut oil and toss fries in melted oil.
Place fries on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 – 20 minutes (or until golden brown on the edges).
Remove from oven and serve immediately.

This recipe is very simple and quick, so I often cook my fries in the oven as I fry my eggs or prepare the rest of my breakfast.

Do you like plantains? Do you like plantain fries? What are your favourite type of fries?

Let me know if you try my recipe :D

Livi June 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I love plantains! So sweet and delicious!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner June 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I’ve never had plantain fries, but I’m putting them on my shopping list now! :) Thanks for the fun new recipe!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine June 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Plantain fries are the best! I have two green ones in my fruit basket right now waiting to be baked! I love them with smoked paprika and cinnamon! (Of course dipped in organic ketchup too!)

Lynndell June 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I have never eaten a plantain as I was convinced they would be to sweet for me. But I am convinced to try them now…I wont post pics tho because I am positive they won’t look as fabulous as yours Meg!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I need that little hearts in the eyes emoji again!! <3

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables June 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Ohh I’ve never had plantain fries but I have had mashed plantains and deep fried plantains in the Dominican republic! I’ll have to try these baked ones :)

Michele June 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Yum! You know I love plantains! I usually do them stovetop but will try in the oven. I eat them several times a week :)

Lisa June 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I love plantains when they are caramelized or deep-fried. One of my favourite things!

Do you fry these, though? I’m not sure how they are similar to fries?

Nina June 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

regular potato fries with chili, cheese, and ketchup or mayo dip on the side

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I have actually never tried plantains before but have been wanting to for awhile. This sounds like a great first way to give them a go!

Arie June 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I was meaning to ask you about your birthday in the last post, but I’m slacking on comments. Geez!
I saw your FB post with your birthday cake, and I was wondering if you had a recipe for it, since you’ve been sharing more recipes lately. I know that sweets are a challenging thing (I, myself, have suffered from anorexia and am in recovery), and didn’t know how you handled the situation. Hopefully it went well, lady!
Happy belated, belated, belated birthday!

Traci June 25, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I’m actually not a big fan of plantains! I always wish I liked them more, and will try them again and again…