My Thoughts on the Natural Nutrition Program at The Canadian School of Natural Nutrition

by Meg on July 8, 2014

Now that I’ve pretty much completed the Natural Nutrition program at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition (my last class was last Monday, but the final board exam isn’t until August 22nd), I thought it would be a good time to share my thoughts with you on what I thought of the program as a whole!

Ironically, I didn’t know about this program or the school, Canadian School of Natural Nutrition (CSNN), until the summer of 2013 despite living in London, one of the locations of a CSNN school. However, I am very thankful and fortunate that I came across this blog post, which led me to applying, enrolling, and studying at CSNN.

When I enrolled at CSNN, I had just completed my Bachelor of Science degree with specialization in Food and Nutrition at Brescia University College. Despite having 4 years of studying nutrition under my belt already, I felt that studying at CSNN and completing their Natural Nutrition program was the right fit for me!

And was I ever right, the Natural Nutrition program was definitely the right fit for me. It was like the missing piece to my puzzle.

I began studying at CSNN in September, attending class every morning 2 days per week, and ended class on June 30th. In addition to attending lectures, I also attended practicums, which are required for completing the program.

At CSNN there is an option between enrolling in the 1-year Natural Nutrition program or the 2-year. I chose the 1-year program as I already had a science background and previous university experience. The 1-year program is very fast paced. Even though lectures were held only two times per week, I was always studying as there were practicums to attend and exams were scheduled pretty much every second class or so.

There is also an option between taking class on site or through distance studies. I chose to study on site as I find the classroom setting very beneficial and felt as though I would be missing out on a lot if I were to study from a distance. I am happy with my decision as I truly believe I learnt a lot more from being in a classroom setting as my teachers always had additional information to add beyond what our textbooks read. I also met one of my best friends at CSNN and if it wasn’t for attending class, I would have never met such a wonderful person and lifelong friend such as her.

The Natural Nutrition program includes the following courses:

- Lifecycle Nutrition: Pediatrics

- Lifecycle Nutrition: Sports

- Lifecycle Nutrition: Perspectives on Aging

- Eco-Nutrition

- Allergies

- Alternative and Comparative Diets

I absolutely loved each and every course and despite already having a Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition, I always felt like I was learning new information as the Natural Nutrition program has a very different perspective on healing than we focused on in my undergrad when studying dietetics. While studying holistic nutrition at CSNN, I truly felt like we were being taught that food is medicine. It was amazing and life changing.

My favourite course was Pathology & Nutrition, but, like I said, I truly did enjoy every single course.

I also really enjoyed the practicums offered throughout the year, as well. Some practicums focused on specific body systems and illnesses such as thyroid and adrenal health and cancer, while others focused on how to do certain things like make your own sauerkraut or create and market a successful business.

In addition to attending class and practicums, we are also required to complete 14 case studies on real people throughout the year. I think this is my favourite part of the entire program as this prepares you for real life clients.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this program and couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend my year. I feel as though I learnt more throughout this year at CSNN than I did throughout my 4 years doing my Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition.

I honestly only have good and positive things to say about my time studying at CSNN and the Natural Nutrition program itself; however, if it were up to me, the requirements and prerequisites to enroll into the program would be changed as I feel it was very beneficial to have 4 years of university experience and a degree prior to beginning and completing this program.

Even though I am technically done the Natural Nutrition program, I still have a lot of work ahead of me this summer. I will be busy studying for the final board exam and completing the rest of my case studies. I will be officially done August 22nd.

If you have any additional questions about my time at CSNN in the Natural Nutrition program feel free to leave a question in the comment section below or shoot me an email at adashofmeg@gmail.com!

Michael July 8, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Funny you would post this Meg! I’ve looked at this course for awhile but have decided undergrad in nutrition. I felt it would be more beneficial to take this first.

Good timing!

Erin July 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Thanks – this is super helpful! What are your plans after you graduate? Do you feel that they have good career services / people get jobs doing that they want to do out of the program? And congrats!

Sarah July 8, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Hi Meg!

I’ve been following you for a while on instagram and just realized you were taking the CSNN course. I’ve been debating taking it for a while now and am pretty sure I am going to do it but my main concern is job opportunities afterwards. I recognize every city/town is different but did the course give you a good sense of what’s out there for when you’re done? Is it more geared towards creating your own business?

Thanks!!

Domi @ Eat, Pray, Lift July 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Thank you so much for sharing all this, Meg! I’ve been really intrigued by all that you’ve wrote about your studies thus far, and I actually looked at CSNN a while back when it came up in my search for nutrition programs. I’m planning to go to grad school for occupational therapy, but I really hope to incorporate nutrition and other holistic elements into my practice.

What are you planning to do career-wise after you pass the board?!

Denise July 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Hi Meg – Congratulations! I took this program through distance ed and passed my final exam at the end of June. I loved the information that was presented and found that I learned so much about the relationship between food and issues arising in our bodies. I agree that a background in science is definately a helpful foundation.
Good luck on your remaining case studies and final exam!
Denie

Sarena August 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Hi Denise,
Congrats on passing your exam! I am planning on enrolling online this fall. I was just wondering if you feel that you still had the full experience completing it through distance? Do you feel like you missed out on the practicums or case studies?
Any extra information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sarena
sarena.13@hotmail.com

Jody - Fit at 56 July 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM

You are a wealth of knowledge now – I am super impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Amanda Browning July 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM

meg! you’re so sweet, i am so happy to have met one of my very best friends this year too! funny how after just a few short months i had met one of my very best friends! i agree that prerequisites would be a great idea, especially because it is tough to see so many people struggle with the course material.

i love csnn and am so glad you’re promoting it so positively.

xo

Traci July 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM

That’s a lot of classes! Congrats on (nearly) completing it all.

Lisa July 9, 2014 at 8:08 AM

I have a few questions for you, Meg.

1. What did “allergies” focus on? People throw that term around rather loosely, but I assume it wasn’t focusing on the top 8, though would be interested if it did.

2. What do you plan on doing with your degrees in hand? Are you opening your own practice?

3. When people ask you about the legitimacy of the program (given all the debunking of it on the Internet), how will you respond? (This is a genuine question).

Thanks! Congrats!

Heather @ FITaspire July 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM

This has always sounded like such a good fit for you, just based on what you had already shared. I’m so glad you’re almost done and it was as good as it sounded. Can’t wait to see what’s next for you!!

Britney July 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Hi Meg,

I have my degree in Dietetics, and was considering this as well. What degree or certification do you get when you finish school? Also, what are you hindrances compared to a dietitian? Did you have time to work while you went to school since class was only 2 days?

Thank you for your help!
Britney

MM July 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I’m so thrilled to read your positive review on CSNN Meg! You make me even more excited to start there! :)

Anna July 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Just wondering if everything is okay, as you haven’t posted all week!