How To Grill Whole Fish

by Meg on August 5, 2014

Last night Eddie and I made a delicious dinner. One of the best we’ve ever made, actually.

IMG_2079

We bought 3 whole fish from the market, two trout and one salmon, and grilled them on the barbecue. When I posted this picture on Instagram last night, a follower told me whole fish intimidate her and was wondering how we cooked them.

IMG_2080

I assume this is a common feeling and question toward whole fish. They do look intimidating and the cooking process may also seem intimidating when just looking at a whole fish, but today I’ll go through the how to’s of cooking a whole fish, so all of you can enjoy them, too! It’s really simple, actually!

How To Grill Whole Fish

1. Begin by removing the head of the fish.

2. Salt the inside with a high quality sea salt like this one and stuff with ingredients of your choice. Last night Eddie and I used fresh lemon slices and basil and rosemary from our herb garden.

3. Carefully slit one side of the fish with a sharp knife (this step is optional, we do it for presentation)

4. Place fish on preheated grill non-slit side down. The grill should be medium-high to high.

5. Grill for approximately 5 – 7 minutes before flipping (times vary depending on the size of your fish)

6. Grill on slit side until firm to touch and the skin is able to peel away.

IMG_2071

Do you grill whole fish? I hope after reading this post you feel confident enough to do so! :)

Linz @ Itz Linz August 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM

i’ve never grilled whole fish.. shoot, i barely even cook fish! haha the grocery stores here do it for you with whatever seasonings you want so that works for me :) have you ever had lox? itz smoked salmon and best with bagel & cream cheese – definitely a jewish tradition and so good!!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner August 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I’ve been on the same page as the person that asked you about it – Grilling a whole fish (or doing anything, really) intimidates me. Thank you so much for this post – I might have to try this!

Dr. Adam Kipp August 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Thanks for sharing! I’ve never grilled a whole fish because I had no clue how to do it and it seemed rather difficult. I will definitely be giving a try here soon. The salmon looks delicious!

lindsay August 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

oh how i love this!! i want fish! and you as my neighbor!

Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out August 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

This is so helpful!!

Jody - Fit at 56 August 5, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not a fish fan BUT this reminds me of those cooking shows! ;)

Hope you are enjoying being home & I am sure very happy!

Less social media here. :)

Heather @ FITaspire August 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM

You know, I’ve never done this! I know my parents & grandparents did when I was younger, but not since I was an adult. Thank you for sharing!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM

So.. confession. I won’t touch raw fish… much less chop its head off. Yikes! I’ll come over for dinner though!

Purelytwins August 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM

love it! we need to start cooking with whole fish, we enjoy them at restaurants, now we need to try at home!